• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2014 (1 Viewer)

PS not sure where the RR Swallows have been blown in from, the storm was mainly from the north. Any ideas? They cannot surely have still been on migration? Mike

It seems that the Red-rumped swallows being seen may not have been blown in with the recent storm, but were around before then and are therefore over-wintering. It would be nice if they were, they are never common in Mallorca, they are a breeder in very small numbers and passage migrant. Mike

Alpine Accentors being seen here and there, mostly on the high peaks. One today at the Albercutx tower. Mike

Hi Mike

I hope I get to see one, someday. The one at the Albercutx tower was certainly very obliging if the photo is anything to go by. Do you know how long they stay on the Island? Perhaps I should think about a winter visit - there might also be some moths around that we've never recorded

All the best

Martin

Hi Martin, it would be great to see you in the winter and it would also be very interesting to see what moths are around. I am determined to get a moth trap set up so I can discover some good things but I am unable to even walk at the moment due to a back problem which keeps getting worse. I think the Accentors stay right through until early spring but I will ask a regular birder at the tower. I was due to go today as I don't have to walk far at that site but there was another storm today. Mike

Hi Mike, sorry to hear that your back is still playing up - it must have been aggrevated by the work that you were doing before we last met. I hope you can get it resolved soon.
Best wishes
Martin

Hi Mike.

I hope you can get some relief for your back problem.Too many people on here rely on your Information..! ;)

Seriously though,take care and get better soon.

Thanks all. Just got the results and it's all bad news I'm afraid, I will need an operation as soon as possible but don't worry, I will be out birding one way or another, there are plenty of places to go here without having to get out of the car! All the best, Mike

Quite a few more reports of Hawfinch being seen so it seems like a good year for this wintering bird. What a stunner they are to see in the early morning sunshine with that massive bill looking as if it's made of metal and the plumage looks bright bronze in colour, what fabulous birds. Mike

Just spent a week birding in Majorca and found it quieter than ever before in December. Spent a day at Mortix and never saw a single raptor. The only birds of note being a single female blackcap, blue rock thrush, crossbill and hundreds of black redstart. Albufereta produced Osprey and Great white egret. Albufera very quiet with very few waders. Just Greenshank and a couple of Dunlin as well as the usual plovers and stilts, 2 Kingfishers also. At the depadura I had a brief glimpse of bluethroat at dusk while watching the starlings come in to roost. A single Tree sparrow was there among a flock of House sparrows. Also had snipe, green and common sandpiper there. At Salobrar de Campos a flyover of 36 Common Crane was the highlight. Didn't see a single Avocet there which I found strange. Majorca is still a great place to watch birds. Even though quiet I still saw 76 species.

Hi Kevin, thanks very much for posting, I have no idea why Mallorca goes quiet sometimes, it just does! Not a single Avocet is very strange indeed but I went there this week and saw hardly a thing. The Cranes made up for it, Bluethroat is a good bird and Tree sparrows are not that easy here so not so bad although you would normally expect number of species to be in the nineties. The "Big Year" total will be about 25 species short of last year so it's just one of those years I'm afraid. Let's hope next year is a bumper one with lots of raptor migration. Mike

It looks like a European Nightjar has been seen, as far as I know the first wintering record or at least the first one I have ever heard about. Still good numbers of Hawfinch being seen and a few sightings of Slender-billed gull. Mike

I'd like to wish a happy Christmas to all the locals who post to the Mallorca thread - especially Mike, with an added wish that he quickly returns to full health and tops next year's Big Year!

I'm sure I speak for many keen visitors when I say that the thread keeps our appetites whetted for our occasional forays to the beautiful island. Looking forward to my first Winter visit in February!

Stew

I also want to say thanks and Merry Christmas to all of the locals who post on this thread. It's been great reading and very helpful to my trip planning.

I'm looking forward to the "Mallorca 2015" thread and to my visit in May.

Mike

Just to thank you and all the 'locals' for the news and updates from Majorca throughout the year.
I have great affection for Majorca and at times when I am unable to get there just to read this thread cheers me up and makes me wish I was there.

A very Merry Christmas to all our friends in Majorca.

best regards

Merlin

Thanks everyone, it really is a fabulous island to live on, especially at the moment with vivid blue skies, nearly twenty degrees of heat and loads of raptors seen today circling on thermals. May I wish you all a merry Christmas and bird filled 2015. I look forward to meeting up with many of you again next year and hope to meet new faces too. Very best wishes, Mike

I, too, would like to add my best wishes and I look forward to at least a couple of visits next year - if all goes well.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - and good birding!

Martin

Happy Xmas and hope Mike gets his back sorted sooner than later, his updates on this thread are one of the many gems to be found on Birdforum, and this is undoubtedly one of the best!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back