• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bin, EL10x50SV (1 Viewer)

That makes sense. You decided to go Swaro instead of Maven ?

I think it is always a pretty good idea to take "WOW this Swarovski is sure better than the rest of them" comments with a large grain of salt. There are certainly differences between models, but I'd never use the WOW adjective. I'm never surprised at how different eyes will react to different binoculars, but WOW at the differences between the Swarovski models is not a term I'd use.

I would not say there is any loss in contrast, more like a gain in color rendition. I suppose the difference is somewhat akin to the 50 having a bigger battery than the 42, the extra oomph can be very effective. I would also say that I don't define my 50 as anywhere near too bright on a bright day.

I have a 10x50 SV and went there from a 10x42 SV. The difference between the two for me is after the sun goes down and if you spend a lot of time pushing distance limits of 10x. I think the extra detail people see with 10x is really better expressed at the 50 mm objective and 5 mm exit pupil. After long periods of time on a tripod, the 10x50 seems to me to show a lot less eye strain. The view seems somehow easier, but you really have to have them side by side before that detail shows up. Yes there is a subtle degree of the view is better than the 10x42, but not WOW. Kind of hard to define or put your finger on the difference of the 50 SV vs the 42. Side by side you can see how it affects you and whether or not it is worth it to you.

If it isn't broken don't fix it.

the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x56 has the same FOV as 10x50 SV,
is that decent to you?
;)

but the 10x56 SLC is pretty decent to, or even nicer,

That was the main contender when I bought the SV50. To me however, the CHD optically was no match for the SV50. As another downside, it is HUGE and weighs a ton.
That's why I was willing to sacrifice my new Trinovid for the SV, and spend the money for the CHD+trade in Trinovid = SV50. No regrets whatsoever. Today I had the SV in the harness for a full day, and I can't imagine doing the same with the colossal CHD.
The Leica UHD50 is another option with an even larger FOV, 117m/1000m, but that one is also 50mm aperture, and not 56mm. Mechanically, for me personally, nothing beats a Leica. Looks as well, to me, the Leica UHD series are the prettiest bins available.

Last edited:
I think Sanjay now has better things to do than telling us OCD bino nuts how his new toy perfoms:-O:-O:-O
Can't disagree with him, I wish him a lot of viewing joy for many years to come:t:

I think Sanjay now has better things to do than telling us OCD bino nuts how his new toy perfoms:-O:-O:-O
Can't disagree with him, I wish him a lot of viewing joy for many years to come:t:

I will certainly update my views here. So far busy with work and hence didn't get chance to look through. I am planning to spend time with them this weekend.

regards

The Leica UHD50 is another option with an even larger FOV, 117m/1000m, but that one is also 50mm aperture, and not 56mm. Mechanically, for me personally, nothing beats a Leica. Looks as well, to me, the Leica UHD series are the prettiest bins available.

What was the deciding factor in persuading you to go for the EL 10X50 rather than the Leica UHD 10X50?

Rolstone

I will certainly update my views here. So far busy with work and hence didn't get chance to look through. I am planning to spend time with them this weekend.

regards

Just making fun of it Sanjay, I'm happy for you|=)|
Take your time, don't rush, and enjoy your fantastic new bin:t:
I'm sure we'll hear from you what your findings are.

best regards, Gijs

What was the deciding factor in persuading you to go for the EL 10X50 rather than the Leica UHD 10X50?

Rolstone

Because I bought this bino with astronomy in mind, I really wanted it to have a flat field. For astronomy that's a big plus. Besides that, the price was about the same, and I think the optical performance of the EL suits me better.
And indeed, here in Sweden it is pitch black at night, and the views of the starfields are breathtaking. One big, sharp, pinpoint carpet of stars, just awesome to watch.

Thanks Uhu. Would you have made a different decision for birding?

Rolstone

Although I watch birds every now and then, I wouldn't consider myself a birder.
To be honest, my decision for birding use would be the same. To me, the SV at this moment, is the optical summit.

the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x56 has the same FOV as 10x50 SV,
is that decent to you?
;)

but the 10x56 SLC is pretty decent to, or even nicer,

I have tried Conquest HD 10x56. It felt really nice and of high quality, like my 8x42. But compared to the 42mm model it's a beast. And compared to Swarovision 10x50 it's 277g heavier and 36mm longer. I very soon realized that this size and weight is for tripod mount. And if I use a tripod I would go for the 15x56. I have not yet tried the 15x model, however.

Last edited:
Guys I need some help here. I just tried my SV 50 for couple of minutes in home only. I am finding two difficulty which could be related to inter pupil distance and eye relief.
1) I am unable to adjust it to a point where I can see only one circle. Even if I adjust to a place where I see one circle only, I still find some overlapping circles over that
2) when I am looking through it , I am finding as if there is some dark area between my eyes and from where the actual view starts. Which means some black distance between my eyes and view. It makes me feel as I am looking through some tunnel.

I used all combinations to see if I can get over it but couldn't adjust.

This was just trying to see through them at home and will take them out tomorrow for a real test.

Sanjay

Guys I need some help here. I just tried my SV 50 for couple of minutes in home only. I am finding two difficulty which could be related to inter pupil distance and eye relief.
1) I am unable to adjust it to a point where I can see only one circle. Even if I adjust to a place where I see one circle only, I still find some overlapping circles over that
2) when I am looking through it , I am finding as if there is some dark area between my eyes and from where the actual view starts. Which means some black distance between my eyes and view. It makes me feel as I am looking through some tunnel.

I used all combinations to see if I can get over it but couldn't adjust.

This was just trying to see through them at home and will take them out tomorrow for a real test.

Sanjay

Just to make sure, have you fully exteded both eyecups? Sounds like you have some major eye relief issues.

Just to make sure, have you fully exteded both eyecups? Sounds like you have some major eye relief issues.

I twisted the eye cups fully out and also tried and adjust inter pupil distance. If I remember I didn't see that in 12*50 SV when I tried and nor in VIctory HT 10*42. What to do in this situation ?

Sanjay

Sanjay,

If you do wear eye glasses, start with the 4-way adjustable eyecups all the way in and view for full sight picture. If you need to, then rotate eyecups CCW (out) one step at a time and view to eliminate black out circles (too little eye relief).

If you don't wear glasses, start with the eyecups adjusted all the way out and view for full sight picture. If needed, rotate the eyecups CW (in) one step at a time and view to eliminate tunnel effect (too much eye relief).

Last edited:
I twisted the eye cups fully out and also tried and adjust inter pupil distance. If I remember I didn't see that in 12*50 SV when I tried and nor in VIctory HT 10*42. What to do in this situation ?

Sanjay

Hmmm, that's weird. Try playing around with eye relief a bit, the tunnel effect can be caused by inproper eye relief. It looks like your bins eye relief is too long, your eyes are too close to the ocular lenses. When the 12x50 was ok, i can't imagine the 10x50 doesn't work for you. Try to unscrew the eye cups for now, then you know for sure if they are all the way out. Fully anti clockwise, and when you carry on turning further, they come loose and can be taken off.

The Swaro eye cups screw out. Take them out and put them back in without tightening them. That will let you extend the er to see if that helps. If some extension works, you can use some o rings for a place marker.

Do you know what your ipd is?

Sanjay

You said you were in your home. Were you trying to focus on close objects? That could cause the problems you are describing in your points 1 and 2.

Take the binocular outside and try it on subjects at normal distances and at infinity. See if that makes a difference.

Bob

Last edited:
Sanjay, Like Uhu and Steve mentioned try unscrewing the eyecups to the very last thread before it comes off (to gain more length) and see if it fixes the "too much eye relief" issue. You can also try bins using sun glasses with different stops extending the eye cups. I had the same issue with the Zeiss SF eye relief causing blackouts and I settled for a UV HD 10X42 which fit me perfectly. Couldn't be more happier.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back