• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new binocular wishes 2023 (1 Viewer)

wish - a 10x that is optimised for weight and afov rather than eye relief.

i’m thinking like sfl 10x40, but 70deg afov with 15mm eye relief.

I've contacted them about this and will report back with their answer.

Q: "When will you have the rubberized version back in stock?'

A:
Dear Sir,

thank you for contacting us.

We would like to inform you that the estimated delivery time in general for
Leica products that are out of stock is approximately 2-4 weeks once ordered.

Thank you for your understanding.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us
again.

Have a nice day ahead.

by Optics Trade Team

Make of this what you will. I found the answer far from satisfactory although one could draw the conclusion that it is orderable. Currently I have neither the spare dosh nor the inclination to put this to the test. Any flush and courageous people out there?

Make of this what you will. I found the answer far from satisfactory although one could draw the conclusion that it is orderable. Currently I have neither the spare dosh nor the inclination to put this to the test. Any flush and courageous people out there?
do you think there is a chance that the binoculars are made to order, as part of an economy project (i.e. not having expensive but not often ordered things sitting around on shelves)
just a thought

I honestly do not know how to answer this. I have no information about Leica's business model except that they seem to enjoy weird and wonderful limited editions. Whether this particular model, which used to be standard fare back in the days, has now been relegated to some fancy special built-to-order item? I for one would hugely enjoy a GA version - if this actually included some level of waterproofness rather than just being a cosmetic thing for fashion victims.
Of course you could be right, but tbh I do not see the 'economy' side of that coin.

Last edited:
Stabilised alphas in a normal housing, not larger than, say, the EL or the Geovid. Preferably Leica, Swarovski or Nikon. Nikon should know how to do it. I use a stabilised 500mm telephoto and it is miraculous.

Just out of vulgar curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for two of them, assembled and collimated, in a suitable housing, complete with matched eyepieces?

Just out of vulgar curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for two of them, assembled and collimated, in a suitable housing, complete with matched eyepieces?
I can anticipate your reply... No matter what I say, you will tell me that it won't be profitable for any manufacturer to bring an instrument like this to the market.

And I think you're right. It is my binocular pipe dream. My technical knowledge is limited, to say the least. But I do see that it is one thing to stabilise a telephoto and another to make it work with another barrel.

It is difficult to say how much I'd be willing to spend without having tested or even seen such an instrument. But to give you a figure, I'd say 3500 to 4000€. I wouldn't be comfortable to spend more as I use binoculars in a way I can't really baby them. Also, if I were to spend so much money on a new toy, I would sell my other full size binoculars and keep only one small set, possibly the Leica Ultravid 8x32.

My wish is for 2023 is a new top line Alpha from Nikon. Either a revamped and improved EDG II, or a new design improving on the EDG II.

And I'll bet you $10 to a donut that one or the other happens before the end of 2023.
Yes, that would be nice, the EDG are very good glasses, but I don't believe in them, Nikon gave up the fight for the alpha market long ago.

In Europe, the EDG never had a chance here, the Big Three share the market, although I have the impression that Leica will follow Nikon in the next few years and will focus on other areas.
The EDG haunts the binocular forums like a chimera, many people know it's supposed to be a good glass but hardly anyone has ever tried it.

Nikon earns most of its money with low-budget binoculars, the Monarch HG still does quite well in the mid-range price segment, and Nikon will probably continue to be active in these areas.
Nikon would have to change its entire sales strategy for an alpha glass, the service would also have to be improved, I don't think Nikon will go down this path.

Andreas

Nikon earns most of its money with low-budget binoculars, the Monarch HG still does quite well in the mid-range price segment, and Nikon will probably continue to be active in these areas.
I would like to see an upgrade already to the design and construction of the MHG.
I wish for an improved focus wheel by replacing the rubber covered plastic wheel with an all metal or all plastic wheel (like Swarovski SV before field pro). I like the feel of the rubber armor but not the look so much and I’d prefer a non pebbled leather look. Armor more Leica in appearance and feel would be nicer IMO. Replace the gold lettering with silver that’s not shiny.

The eyecups could stand to be more flush with the ocular lenses to get more usable eye relief.

The optics are great but I’d like to see new coatings with less yellow and a little more true/neutral color presentation. The yellow bias is a bit strong IMO.

I think it will be a long wait before Nikon upgrades the MHG in any way.

My wish is for 2023 is a new top line Alpha from Nikon. Either a revamped and improved EDG II, or a new design improving on the EDG II.

And I'll bet you $10 to a donut that one or the other happens before the end of 2023.
Having the Nikon 2022 Japan catalog here, the 42mm EDG and E2's are going strong and in current production. They seem to have taken a pre-Colonial, insular attitude on these....content to sell them to their fellow Japanese and not caring too much about what outsiders think. We are welcome to purchase the binoculars if we want, with a simple DHL air shipping fee of about $50, I can almost hear them asking, "what else do you want from us?" :D

I drink Japanese green tea every day, it's the best, it's not easy to find in the USA, sometimes you have to overcome a little inconvenience to get the best stuff. IMO the EDG are already a good value at US$1400-1500 and appeal to observers who don't prefer ultra-wide field designs. It would only take a couple small tweaks to get them among the very best of today....like some of the tech they used in the WX. In many ways they're already the best.

It would only take a couple small tweaks to get them among the very best of today....
Above all, the diopter compensation would have to be improved, it is a smooth design flaw.
A slightly fresher exterior design wouldn't be bad either, so it's a mix of old baroque and futurism.

Andreas

Above all, the diopter compensation would have to be improved, it is a smooth design flaw.
A slightly fresher exterior design wouldn't be bad either, so it's a mix of old baroque and futurism.

Andreas
you mean the push/pull knob? It is difficult to use, I jam my fingers in an uncomfortable way every time I lift it and close it. It seems to stay in place though. So far.

I'd like to see them get up to 92% transmission, which seems to be the hightest this type of bino can go. You have to ask yourself "is that worth another $1000" though. They're pretty good the way they are.

Last edited:
I’m hoping at least one new high quality 8x32 comes out in 2023.

Just remembered another wish: new Opticron Aurora VHD 32.

What do you guys think are realistic new binoculars for 2023 ? I don’t mean fantasy bins but what could actually be possible. Last year wasn’t much except SFL and the Curio (which actually was available late 2021).

Last edited:
you mean the push/pull knob? It is difficult to use, I jam my fingers in an uncomfortable way every time I lift it and close it. It seems to stay in place though.
I mean just the small disc under the focuser to adjust the eyesight.
This disk cannot be fixed and is too close to the focuser, with two EDG the same problem, with stronger pressure on the focus roller this disk can move, as nice as the EDG is, this is not well done.
As long as Nikon doesn't find a solution, I would do without any other EDG.

Andreas

Q: "When will you have the rubberized version back in stock?'

A:
Dear Sir,

thank you for contacting us.

We would like to inform you that the estimated delivery time in general for
Leica products that are out of stock is approximately 2-4 weeks once ordered.

Thank you for your understanding.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us
again.

Have a nice day ahead.

by Optics Trade Team

Leica Trinovid 7x35 rubber-armoured binoculars, black

Seem legit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back