• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Spring Migrants have you seen so far, 2022 (4 Viewers)

More birds arrived during the weekend : booted eagle, black crowned night heron, tree pipit, gull billed tern, eastern subalpine warbler, garganey, black winged stilt...

It's still thin around Farnborough: Chiffchaffs in profusion and Blackcaps substantially up in the last few days, but no other obvious migrants. Even Sand Martins and Little Ringed Plovers, normally first week of March migrants for me, have eluded me locally though I picked up LRP at Pennington yesterday (and, bizarrely, Cuckoo calling at Acres Down where a single Swallow went through North.)

John

Spotted Crake and finally just in the nick of time (31st today) both House Martin and Swallow over my local pond. Sand Martins around for a while as usual.

I wonder how many of the recently returned hirundines will have succumbed to the weather over the last few days. Does anybody know if the various species of hirundines would be equally affected as they 9bviously have slightly different feeding techniques.

The dam sort of broke today, in a good way. The local reservoir had Wilson's Snipe, 1 each Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs, Barn Swallow, and Northern Rough-winged Swallow.

That, and frame-filling scope views at 30m or less of a Long-tailed Duck pair and 3 Horned (Slavonian) Grebes! One of the grebes was calling, too, a new experience for me.

We're experiencing crazy weather in Corsica these days : rain, wind and even snow at low elevation. Very unusual for this time of the year.

Yesterday on the road from Bastia to Cap Corse, I saw my first of the year Common Whitethroat and Willow Warblers.

Today on my local patch, all the bushes were teeming with life! Passerines probably got stuck by tonight's thunderstorm : Willow Warblers, Common Redstarts, Eastern Subalpine Warblers (2) and a lot of Robins and Black Redstarts.
It is so cold that House Martins were piling up with each other on windows... Never saw that before!

Today's first of the year are : Pied Flycatcher (at least 5,hoping to find a collared!), Moltoni's Warbler (1, it gave it's typical wren like call), Woodchat Shrike (not a local bird, senator ssp) and... a Western Black Eared Wheatear! It's not too common in Corsica but two others have been found at different locations 2 days ago.
It's bird #227 on my Corsica list, very happy to have gone out in spite of the weather!

First Ring Ouzel of the year and first for a while at Marton Mere in Blackpool, Avocets, LR Plover, Little Stint and Ruff all at Newton Marsh in Lancs.

Attachments

• avo2 new marsh.JPG
    avo2 new marsh.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
  • pair avocet nm.JPG
    pair avocet nm.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
  • ringousel.JPG
    ringousel.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
Added a pair of Garganey today that turned up at the London Wetland Centre this morning. The pair avidly feeding at the edge of the channel below the tower & the male displaying to his mate.

Osprey through Moor Green this afternoon; also a local Little Ringed Plover there at last. Otherwise stacks of Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs but still no other warblers!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back