• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Spring Migrants have you seen so far, 2022 (2 Viewers)

I've been birding on sunday too, the weather cleared and it was almost summer weather ! Most of the passerines that were here on saturday decided to leave because of that weather improvement...
There was a first for the year though : 2 males pallid harriers hunting over fields ! I include my poor pic of one of these !

On monday, first hobby while working, clearly a migrant, it was heading north at a fast speed.
Finally my first common swifts (3) of the year yesterday !

busard.JPG

Finally 2 Little Ringed Plover on Saturday 2nd April. Possibility I may get Wheatear, wallow, Sand Martin, Willow Warbler and maybe Ring Ouzel tomorrow.

Finally a few migrants: Willow Warbler and Garden Warbler at Moor Green this morning, and consequent on being out anyway, a trip over to Searle's Farm Lane GP (near Reading) where a Sedge Warbler was singing near where I parked but my main quarry was an immature Red-necked Grebe, faded plumage but nice bird. 198 for the year now.

John

This year I've been birding almost exclusively within the villa complex I live in so the list is a tad scant. So far I've had: Long-eared Owl (21 Mar); White Wagtail (23 Mar); Common (Steppe) Buzzard, Black Kite, Green Sandpiper*, Grey Heron, Black-headed Gull, Common Firecrest, Bluethroat* (30 Mar); Tree Pipit, Mallard, Common Redstart, Western Marsh Harrier, Common Swift (31 Mar); Cetti's Warbler (4 Apr); European Pied Flycatcher, Eurasian Blackcap, Eurasian Wryneck, Yellow-legged Gull*, Purple Heron* (5 Apr); Barn Swallow, Woodlark, Hen Harrier*, Black Stork (7 Apr) and Lesser Black-backed Gull* (8 Apr).
* are my first records for the area.

First time birding in probably a month, so tons of first of years. Good looks at a breeding plumage Common Loon, and got a surprise Purple Martin, which I assumed was super early but ebird didn't require documentation, so I guess one showing up now isn't a total surprise. Lots of Golden-crowned Kinglets, Common Grackles, etc. Now if the weather could just improve...really looking forward to birding in 40+ temp weather!

Finally got to go birding and had a spectacular afternoon (48 species). The new migrants were:
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Greater Yellowlegs
Green-winged Teal
Common Loon
Osprey
Solitary Sandpiper
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Despite having a good day I still have several annoying holes in my year list (Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Red-headed Woodpecker, Swamp Sparrow, Louisiana Waterthrush, Bonaparte's Gull), and it doesn't help that most of them were reported today. Oh well...

Last edited:
First two Sand Martins of the year on Sunday - seems very late. We've had a few Swallows around for a couple of weeks, but it's not looking good for numbers so far.

On Sunday afternoon : 2 purple herons and a single wood warbler.
My first wryneck of the year this morning !

Tree Pipits and Redstarts in at Thursley this morning, with big bonus male Ring Ouzel that landed in a tree right over my head, chakked for a minute and then started singing! Willow Warblers fresh in this morning too though I'd had them locally elsewhere.

No Cuckoos calling yet, from 0730 to 1030 at least....

John

I hoped for Willow Warbler at Ruislip Woods this morning. They had been present but none singing today so perhaps moved on. Used to be a regular breeder here but few now breeding around London.

2 Swallows & a House Martin new for the year though.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back