• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 10x binoculars to pair up my SLC 8x42? (1 Viewer)

I like carrying my retrovid 7x35 because they’re incredibly cool and make me look incredibly sexy
It is a cool pair of binoculars and I have a personal interest in it. The rectovid 7x35 itself is sexy ❤️

I have an SF 10x32, and a NL 12x42, which I use with the headrest. I thought the NL 10x32 might give me a noticeable increase in resolution compared to the SF. In reality, it was the opposite. The NL was very slightly, but noticeably less sharp than all my other 10x models (SF 10x32, Habicht 10x40, SF 10x42, Maven B6 10x50), and the headrest didn’t make a noticeable difference. That was a surprise to me. Maybe just sample variation.
That is so interesting. This is the answer I really needed before deciding to buy one. I don't think sample variation makes that much of a noticeable difference. Thank you @Brummie for sharing your valuable experience with NL 10x32.

Hehe. That's why I want to buy a few more bins before marrying her 😂😂

Yeah. I know that will never happen 😁 At least I thought about that 😂

That's right. I have already spent 4k for binos last year. But right now I don't have an interest for a car. I love to use public transportation. Luckily bins from good brands have good resale value. I would sell mine and keep only one (probably M7 8x30) if I step into an economical crisis.

He had a lending programme with Red hawk rifles. However, he changed into another platform 'nebula'. Anyway, he reviewed almost all popular binos in market. I hope he is making success with nebula ❤️
Is he doing any reviews on nebula? I had looked a while back and couldn’t find him. Is he still Optica exotica?

Interesting post from Brummie about the 10’s. I have the EL, SF, UVHD+, and a few others all in 8x30/32’s and for me the EL is the sharpest, brightest and most contrast of all of them except for maybe the 830 Habicht. Was out with the 1042NL and 832EL today and both have that sharp contrast of the swarovski. Easily noticeable difference in sharpness from the SF, which comes off on the green side when compared to EL and UVHD

Paul

The eyecups are ok if you don’t wear glasses of course, otherwise Habicht’s are not a good choice.

Just a word in defence of the Habicht and glasses wearers. If you fold the eyecups down, the Habicht work fine with glasses (with my 8x30 anyway). I imagine it could be an issue if one had very strong prescription glasses as the glasses lens might then touch the eyepiece.

I sometimes use the binos with glasses or else push them (the glasses!) onto my forehead and use with the eyecups in their normal position with some aftermarket slip on eyepieces

Is he doing any reviews on nebula? I had looked a while back and couldn’t find him. Is he still Optica exotica?
@Paultricounty I am not sure. He said he will move onto the nebula but I don't have a nebula account. Also, he made a binocular masterclass that you have to purchase. I think it has around 30 more videos.

Interesting post from Brummie about the 10’s. I have the EL, SF, UVHD+, and a few others all in 8x30/32’s and for me the EL is the sharpest, brightest and most contrast of all of them except for maybe the 830 Habicht. Was out with the 1042NL and 832EL today and both have that sharp contrast of the swarovski. Easily noticeable difference in sharpness from the SF, which comes off on the green side when compared to EL and UVHD

Paul
Yes, this is very interesting. Several forum members had a good impression of NL 10x32. Dennis said in another thread, that it is the best out of all 4 NL models. However, I found mixed opinions from different members. Some like NL more while some like SF more. However, I wanted to confirm the effect of forehead rest on the steadiness of NL 10x32. Because I believe SF 10x32 also has a good balance. The main reason that made me interested in 10x32 is the forehead rest. I thought to belive it will give better steadiness which essential to see more details.

That would be the Schwebebahn? What fun.
@tenex Yes, I take it almost every day, mostly in the evening (I like to walk in the morning). I wish it could be made more like a small roller-coaster so I would not get sleepy during the day 😃😃

I believe birdwatching is not only a hobby but also a good approach to loving and protecting nature. If more people use public transport, fewer greenhouse gases would emit and it reduces the carbon footprint too. That involves mitigating global warming and reducing habitat loss of many endangered bird species as well 🙂 However, I believe not every place in the world has an access to a good public transportation system. Especially, the people in the US, Australia, etc. need to travel several hundred kilometers every day so, having a car is essential. Even people who live in suburban areas often need to use a personal vehicle as their main transportation method. However, my lifestyle does not require a car. Being a university student I get a semester ticket which allows me to travel anywhere in NRW for free. The German government going to introduce a very cheap ticket (less than 10 euros per month) for public transportation to popularize it among people. I heard during the first 3 months it will allow traveling anywhere in the country. I believe it is a big step taken by the government to save nature (maybe it is not the main intention of the government 😁). I am sorry for talking off topic and sharing personal ideas here.

@Paultricounty I am not sure. He said he will move onto the nebula but I don't have a nebula account. Also, he made a binocular masterclass that you have to purchase. I think it has around 30 more videos.

Yes, this is very interesting. Several forum members had a good impression of NL 10x32. Dennis said in another thread, that it is the best out of all 4 NL models. However, I found mixed opinions from different members. Some like NL more while some like SF more. However, I wanted to confirm the effect of forehead rest on the steadiness of NL 10x32. Because I believe SF 10x32 also has a good balance. The main reason that made me interested in 10x32 is the forehead rest. I thought to belive it will give better steadiness which essential to see more details.

@tenex Yes, I take it almost every day, mostly in the evening (I like to walk in the morning). I wish it could be made more like a small roller-coaster so I would not get sleepy during the day 😃😃

I believe birdwatching is not only a hobby but also a good approach to loving and protecting nature. If more people use public transport, fewer greenhouse gases would emit and it reduces the carbon footprint too. That involves mitigating global warming and reducing habitat loss of many endangered bird species as well 🙂 However, I believe not every place in the world has an access to a good public transportation system. Especially, the people in the US, Australia, etc. need to travel several hundred kilometers every day so, having a car is essential. Even people who live in suburban areas often need to use a personal vehicle as their main transportation method. However, my lifestyle does not require a car. Being a university student I get a semester ticket which allows me to travel anywhere in NRW for free. The German government going to introduce a very cheap ticket (less than 10 euros per month) for public transportation to popularize it among people. I heard during the first 3 months it will allow traveling anywhere in the country. I believe it is a big step taken by the government to save nature (maybe it is not the main intention of the government 😁). I am sorry for talking off topic and sharing personal ideas here.
I think the stability in the 10xNL has more to do with the large FOV than the head rest device by itself. That’s why I think the two best choices for stability in 10x is the NL and SF, being they both have a very large FOV, very close and more so than many 8’s. The head rest is just an added bonus for that little bit more help stabilizing the bino with a third contact point. There are many other 10x choices in High quality (ALPHA) category, but if stability is your main objective (see how I did that Pun🤭) the NL and SF in my opinion are the best choices.

Being that these two beauties are very different in color palette, you may like one more than the other, so I’d try to find a way to try them. On the other hand if you bought either one you'd be very happy, because they’re both so good. Haptics are phenomenal on both , so no worries there. Build quality of course is great in both being two of the three best alphas on the market. I would ad that imo the Zeiss may have some areas that may not wear as well as the Swarovski. The SF are a little more busy in body design with how they attach/cover the exterior in relation to the exposed magnesium body. And there has been some talk about possible weakness in the plastic eyecups. But I wouldn’t worry about it, Zeiss is pretty good with customer service.

I understand Germany has great mass transportation systems. That’s great when you don’t need a car to go where ever you want and in safety. It’s certainly not like that in many parts of the US and it’s cities. In some areas you need an AR15 with a back up piece just to feel safe 🤪😧

I thought Ethan’s master class was more about the ins and outs of binoculars , and less about other reviews.

Paul.

I think the stability in the 10xNL has more to do with the large FOV than the head rest device by itself. That’s why I think the two best choices for stability in 10x is the NL and SF, being they both have a very large FOV, very close and more so than many 8’s. The head rest is just an added bonus for that little bit more help stabilizing the bino with a third contact point. There are many other 10x choices in High quality (ALPHA) category, but if stability is your main objective (see how I did that Pun🤭) the NL and SF in my opinion are the best choices.

Being that these two beauties are very different in color palette, you may like one more than the other, so I’d try to find a way to try them. On the other hand if you bought either one you'd be very happy, because they’re both so good. Haptics are phenomenal on both , so no worries there. Build quality of course is great in both being two of the three best alphas on the market. I would ad that imo the Zeiss may have some areas that may not wear as well as the Swarovski. The SF are a little more busy in body design with how they attach/cover the exterior in relation to the exposed magnesium body. And there has been some talk about possible weakness in the plastic eyecups. But I wouldn’t worry about it, Zeiss is pretty good with customer service.

I understand Germany has great mass transportation systems. That’s great when you don’t need a car to go where ever you want and in safety. It’s certainly not like that in many parts of the US and it’s cities. In some areas you need an AR15 with a back up piece just to feel safe 🤪😧

I thought Ethan’s master class was more about the ins and outs of binoculars , and less about other reviews.

Paul.
Yes, stability is a very important factor to resolve more details. I can see it in Canon IS III 12x36. However, the optics in it are not so great and produce a lot of CA. By the way, I have never tried a Zeiss except for Conquest HD 8x32 for a short time in a shop. I don't think that I would have a chance to compare both NL and FS side by side in any shop I know. I compared NL 8x42 and 10x42, EL 8.5x42, Noctivid 10x42, and UV 10x42 side by side for 30 mins last year. However, that winter day was so gloomy and was not a good day at all to test bins. NL 8x42 was brighter than 10x42 and the wide TFOV attracted me. However, I didn't adjust the diopter in any of them or check lenses for dirt. That might be the reason to see the NL 8x42 is brighter. That day I didn't notice the beautiful color of NV but it felt solid in my hand.
I know there is an issue with Swarovski armor and it is a deal-breaker for me. However, Swarovski has a great reputation for its after-sale service. If I find any chance I would love to compare both NL and FS 10x32 side by side.

I feel lucky that I am not in the US. Otherwise, I will not spend any money on Binos but on firearms 😁😁 Which attract me the most 😃 I would have a big collection of 1911 s and Smith and Wesson's 😂😂😂

I would definitely say try the NL 10x32. Don’t take my word for it. The difference in sharpness I saw was trying to read extremely small print on a poster at the end of a corridor. I don’t think if would have been noticeable under natural viewing conditions.

It surprised me because I didn’t think my eyes would be sharp enough to notice differences in the sharpness of any higher end binocular, and I also expected (based on experience with the 12x42) that the forehead rest would make a noticeable difference. This was at home, though, with one arm braced against a wall. In the field, with tired arms, the stability increment probably would have been different.

Yes, stability is a very important factor to resolve more details. I can see it in Canon IS III 12x36. However, the optics in it are not so great and produce a lot of CA. By the way, I have never tried a Zeiss except for Conquest HD 8x32 for a short time in a shop. I don't think that I would have a chance to compare both NL and FS side by side in any shop I know. I compared NL 8x42 and 10x42, EL 8.5x42, Noctivid 10x42, and UV 10x42 side by side for 30 mins last year. However, that winter day was so gloomy and was not a good day at all to test bins. NL 8x42 was brighter than 10x42 and the wide TFOV attracted me. However, I didn't adjust the diopter in any of them or check lenses for dirt. That might be the reason to see the NL 8x42 is brighter. That day I didn't notice the beautiful color of NV but it felt solid in my hand.
I know there is an issue with Swarovski armor and it is a deal-breaker for me. However, Swarovski has a great reputation for its after-sale service. If I find any chance I would love to compare both NL and FS 10x32 side by side.

I feel lucky that I am not in the US. Otherwise, I will not spend any money on Binos but on firearms 😁😁 Which attract me the most 😃 I would have a big collection of 1911 s and Smith and Wesson's 😂😂😂
All of those binoculars you tried are all in a class of there own. A sunny day is definitely better to be able to see the color palette differences from the Zeiss green, Swarovski neutral and Leica yellow, warm. All are bright, clear and sharp. The 842NL should’ve been the brightest of the ones you tried because, it had the largest exit pupal of the batch, and that is easier to notice on an overcast day.

I Have experience with a lot of models from Swarovski and Zeiss for many years. I have never seen one that had an armor problem. I’ve seen more problems with Zeiss than Swarovski. i have no doubt people have had issues, but I wouldn’t let concerns about either one sway you in one direction or the other. If your main objective is a stable 10x, then as I said before in my opinion SF or NL are your best choices. The Swaro also gives you the choice of that crazy orange👍. I was using the 1042 NL and the 832 EL yesterday and you could barely tell the difference in instability. I also had the 1042SE and a GPO 1042 and I could easily see the difference in shake. Part of the reason I never gravitated to the 1042‘s is because of the shake. I find it to be more fatiguing after a shorter period of time than 8x and 7x. The majority of my collection are 8’s and few 7’s.

I wouldn’t give to much weight or consideration to Dennis with his reviews or opinions. It seems that if you look back over the years here on BF , the first week of a new bino acquisition , it’s the best in the world. A month later there for sale on eBay or here on BF. Then a week later the bino being discussed has all kinds of optical issues and flaws.

The firearms hobby can be at least if not more addicting than optics. Both the 1911’s and smiths are great choices. And a lot of fun to boot, but also can get pretty expensive fast, especially today with all the ammo shortages. I don’t think this is the appropriate discussion to post any photos.

Let us know which binoculars you got and what you think of them.

I can't see how FOV has to do with stability. But the head rest is a great idea' in my opinion. Maybe like half way to IS.
I know , that’s what I thought as well. But in trying and now owning these examples there is no doubt that there is a difference. Maybe some others can weigh in on that.

The headrest works, but it’s not like night and day. I would assume that it may work beneficially differently for each individual. My wife doesn’t like it, my son thinks it’s like IS. So there’s three opinions right there.

Paul

Back to the topic, I am also interested to have a x10 binoculars as I do not have any. I am also thinking about having a Habitch 10x40, maybe a second hand one.
I bought a second hand Habicht 10x40 GA last year for 750,- euro and i would give it a try if you get a chance to test one. Extremely bright, not too heavy, proven design, rock solid and last but not least you can use it as a weapon of self defense ;)

I bought a second hand Habicht 10x40 GA last year for 750,- euro and i would give it a try if you get a chance to test one. Extremely bright, not too heavy, proven design, rock solid and last but not least you can use it as a weapon of self defense ;)
I love to have one. However, if I buy one, I would probably go for Habicht 10x40 W. Right now, I have no need for a self-defense weapon 😂😂 I believe W is lighter than GA. However, not sure about the difference in the balance and feel in hands.

I love to have one. However, if I buy one, I would probably go for Habicht 10x40 W. Right now, I have no need for a self-defense weapon 😂😂 I believe W is lighter than GA. However, not sure about the difference in the balance and feel in hands.
Yes the W is lighter with 610 gram and the GA version is 790 gram. I do a lot of hiking so for me robustness is very important but i must say the GA feels nice in the hand with a lot of grip. Have never tried the W version though (or a NL or SE so can not say which one is optically better).

If more people use public transport, fewer greenhouse gases would emit and it reduces the carbon footprint too.
Dense cities are efficient in many ways. I grew up in Manhattan (where only the rich or crazy had cars) and even took the subway to school. It's very sad that most US cities are overgrown small towns, so spread out today that transit (which often has to be rebuilt after being ripped out years ago to make way for cars) can't easily be made effective.

I saw the Schwebebahn years ago in "Run Lola Run" and had to look up what it was. I'd love to ride it.

Back to bins... do you need the flat (and wide) field of today's NL/SFs? If not, there are some older alpha models that would be more affordable, like the SLC.

Dense cities are efficient in many ways. I grew up in Manhattan (where only the rich or crazy had cars) and even took the subway to school. It's very sad that most US cities are overgrown small towns, so spread out today that transit (which often has to be rebuilt after being ripped out years ago to make way for cars) can't easily be made effective.

I saw the Schwebebahn years ago in "Run Lola Run" and had to look up what it was. I'd love to ride it.

Back to bins... do you need the flat (and wide) field of today's NL/SFs? If not, there are some older alpha models that would be more affordable, like the SLC.
I'm glad that you like Schwebebahn ❤️

For a 10x I don't need a huge field of view or a flat field however stability is important. Which is the only point that made my mind lean towards NL 10x32. Sometimes I more like the view of my M7 8x30 than a flat field with too much of artifacts. However, the optical quality (and waterproofness) are also important to me to some extent. Otherwise, I would buy Canon IS II 10x30.

Yes the W is lighter with 610 gram and the GA version is 790 gram. I do a lot of hiking so for me robustness is very important but i must say the GA feels nice in the hand with a lot of grip. Have never tried the W version though (or a NL or SE so can not say which one is optically better).

EDIT: according to the technical data sheet the Habicht 10x40 W weight 690 g / 24.3 oz and the GA version 790 g / 27.9 oz.

I just won a Swarovski Optik Tirol Habicht 10x40 (SN 161259) probably made between 1960-1980 from eBay auction. I know resent Swarovski Habitch got a lot of important over time. Do you have any experience with these older models and are they any good?

I just won a Swarovski Optik Tirol Habicht 10x40 (SN 161259) probably made between 1960-1980 from eBay auction. I know resent Swarovski Habitch got a lot of important over time. Do you have any experience with these older models and are they any good?
Someon can probably date those from the sn. Optically the older models are very good - essentially same resolution and edge performance as current nes, bt they can have a yellow tint to the view, and ren't as bright due to the lack of modern coatings.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back