• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss and Swarovski 10x32 flat field question (1 Viewer)

Allen

Hi. When (or even if) was a flat field introduced on Swarovski ELs and Zeiss Victory T*FL and Conquest? Thanks

Hi. When (or even if) was a flat field introduced on Swarovski ELs and Zeiss Victory T*FL and Conquest? Thanks
I believe the EL was introduced with a field flattener with the SV Introduction, possibly around 2010. I don’t think FL has flatteners and the conquest does not.

Thanks again. The SF are out of budget fir 2nd hand whereas one can occasionally pick up ELs for the budget I have.

Thanks again. The SF are out of budget fir 2nd hand whereas one can occasionally pick up ELs for the budget I have.
I guess, the FL’s might be the best bang for the buck on the used market. The EL’s in 32 seem to be getting a premium lately, close to what one could buy the 42 new. They’re all so good, just some
characteristic differences.

When I was considering and researching the SF, I found that the across field resolution test results showed that it was not sharp (flat) right to the edge as one would have hoped for in a premier level bin with field flatteners:

Perhaps the Swaro NLs have a flatter field, but I have not seen any resolution measurement tests to compare.

Last edited:
I notice that some EL's have full black insert in the armour on the inside of the barrels but some have same colour as rest of armour but with just a black surround. Which are the later model of the 2 styles?

When I was considering and researching the SF, I found that the across field resolution test results showed that it was not sharp (flat) right to the edge as one would have hoped for in a premier level bin with field flatteners:

Perhaps the Swaro NLs have a flatter field, but I have not seen any resolution measurement tests to compare.
The 8x32 SF are pretty close to being sharp to the extreme edge, maybe not 100% but 95. the 8x42's have a slightly larger breakdown at the edge but still good

The 8x32 SF are pretty close to being sharp to the extreme edge, maybe not 100% but 95. the 8x42's have a slightly larger breakdown at the edge but still good
Absolutely. The SF's are one of the top four best binoculars being made today. The balance of optical image quality, resolution, brightness, CA control and edge correction is the pinnacle of optical design today for the genre. All four or five have a slight variation in the balance in those areas, where one emphasizes one area of correction over the other, but as far as edge correction, they're all excellent in this area.

Paul

A determined search for flaws, faults, defects, and shortcomings, will always find one or more.

Different folks use this fact differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back