• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss vs Leica vs Nikon vs Swarovski (1 Viewer)

Lewie

At the Midwest Birding Symposium I finally had a chance to examine all the top binoculars.

Optics:
All were great. Only difference I could see was that the Zeiss FLs were slightly brighter.

Handling:
All handled well, but especially liked the Swarovski and Leica. They just fit perfectly in my hands. Their balance made them feel even lighter than they were.

Focusing:
(For me at least this was the big difference. Let me say up front that I do own a Nikon Premier LX L 8X32.) Leica's focusing seemed slightly rough, gritty, as if the wheel were ratcheting. A few of the Lecia models focused smoothly, but most had that subtle gritty, ratchety feel. The Leica's focusing probably does not and will not bother most, but it did me.

Though most of the Swarovski models focused smoothly, some had a very uneven focus. That is, the force required to move the wheel would vary; the wheel would move easily, then harder. The difference wasn't great, but was there. But a bigger problem, for me at least, was the slow focusing of the Swarovskis. The wheel just took too much turning. Of course, some prefer the slow focus.

Though the Zeiss did focus smoothly, they did not focus as smoothly as the Nikons.

I love the smoothness of focusing the Nikons, though they do a have very quick focus. The quick focus does allow me to get a bird in focus very quickly, though it takes awhile to get used to, and sometimes I focus past the bird.

Eye relief:
When I purchased my Nikon Premier LX L 8X32, I did not even consider the Leica and Swavorski 8X32s because I wear glasses and they supposedly had little eye relief. What a shock when I tried them. They both had great eye relief! I could see the entire field. Now I am very disappointed that I did not try them. I loved holding both of them, especially the Leica. The only problem was the focusing. I may have still purchased the Nikon, but I do not know. If you are thinking about buying a top 8X32, you owe it to yourself to try all four; I wish I had. (I did consider the Zeiss, which were out, but no one yet had them in stock.) In fact the only bino of the top four that I could not see the entire field was the Swarovski 10X32.

Finally the company reps were great -- especially the Leica and Zeiss. The Leica reps were unbelievably friendly and honest.

Last edited:
I'm told by Leica owners that you get used to the focus but whenever I've tried them I've found it really off puting.

pduxon said:
I'm told by Leica owners that you get used to the focus but whenever I've tried them I've found it really off puting.

You're quite right, the focus wheel seems to put many off the ultravids. The 'notchy' feel is due to the un-greased focussing, which as been done so that they can be used in extremely low temps - something taht most of us won't benefit from.

Personally I use ultravids and was used to the focus by the end of the first day of using them, now I just don't notice them. However I do find the focus on the Nikon HG's (Premier LX) to fast and have never been able to get on with it. I guess it shows how personal binocular choice is and also how quickly we get used to what we use.

pduxon said:

I think there is tremendous sample variation in the smoothness of the Ultravids' focussing. It can go from very smooth to the point where you simply can't fine-focus. So that "getting used to" is dangerous as a generalization. In fact, I would never buy a full-sized Ultravid by mail unless there was an unconditional return policy. For some reason, the compact Ultravids seem to be fine. Or does anyone know of problems there, too?

Hi Robert

I can't say I have great experience of Ultravids but of the four pairs I've picked up all were "notchy" as Postcard puts it.

pduxon said:
Hi Robert

I can't say I have great experience of Ultravids but of the four pairs I've picked up all were "notchy" as Postcard puts it.

My experience is mostly from two that I tested simultaneously and rather extensively. One was as smooth as one could wish for. On the other one, as stated previously, I was unable to fine focus as it was so extremely ratchety or "notchy". And I'm sure one could never get used to that one. So, obviously, there must be a wide range in between from the many posts I have seen.

Last edited:
My experience with the Nikon 8x42LX and 10x42LX binoculars is that their action is smooth and almost fluid in its feel. The focusing mechanism moves with firm authority and remains at focus until the wheel is moved again; pressure against the eyepieces as I press my glasses to them doesn't seem to affect focus. I have gotten used to the speed with which they focus, and they are a pleasure to use.

Swissboy said:
My experience is mostly from two that I tested simultaneously and rather extensively. One was as smooth as one could wish for. On the other one, as stated previously, I was unable to fine focus as it was so extremely ratchety or "notchy". And I'm sure one could never get used to that one. So, obviously, there must be a wide range in between from the many posts I have seen.
Our compact Ultravids are as smooth as silk but my Swaros are a little uneven in a couple of places - no complaints, though.

I used a pair of Nikon 8x32 HG's yesterday, 16th October, on many of the Yellow-browed present at Flamborough. The focusing wheel was 'Rolls Royce' as was the close focus.

JB.

Last edited:
scampo said:
Our compact Ultravids are as smooth as silk but my Swaros are a little uneven in a couple of places - no complaints, though.

There is a very slight unevenness in my Zeiss FL too. But also no reason to complain. And the 10x25 Ultravids are smooth as silk just like yours. So why can't Leica get it dependably right on the full sized models?

Tim Allwood said:
The depth of field on Zeiss ClassiC 7 x 42 is such that i hardly ever need to use the focus wheel
Tim
Just as well, because on every pair I've tried, the focus wheel is really stiff!

Swissboy said:
There is a very slight unevenness in my Zeiss FL too. But also no reason to complain. And the 10x25 Ultravids are smooth as silk just like yours. So why can't Leica get it dependably right on the full sized models?
I suspect as someone has said it's because they are dry rather than greased?

scampo said:
I suspect as someone has said it's because they are dry rather than greased?

So do they grease the 10x25s? That would be odd policy, it would seem. Unless they intend to cater to a different clientele.

Last edited:
Richard Scott said:
Just as well, because on every pair I've tried, the focus wheel is really stiff!

...that's cos u don't use it Rich ;)

I dropped mine a couple of years back in the kitchen and the focus wheeel thread crossed making it impossble to focuss them... they were still usable in the field though at a push!!!

fixed by Cley Spy for an amazing £25

Tim

Swissboy said:
So do they grease the 10x25s? That would be odd policy, it would seem. Unless they intend to cater to a different clientele.
Mine don't feel greased - which usually creates a slight backlash owing to friction. They sound 'dry', if that makes sense - but are very smooth indeed.

Robert Ellis said:
I am fairly certain the Ultravid compacts are not greased, just like their bigger counterparts.

But their bigger counterparts >are< now greased (they started sometime earlier this year). I have it on record from Leica UK.

Chris

zurtfox said:
But their bigger counterparts >are< now greased (they started sometime earlier this year). I have it on record from Leica UK.

Chris

According to other posts the latest Leica's are/were not greased so as to allow use at low temperatures. Maybe they've found suitable grease?

25 years ago I machined some components for a balloon borne space telescope, and I remember one day the head techie fetching a box and inside was a tiny tube of 'space grease'. It cost a fortune (£100) for a tiny amount, but could work in a vacuum, and at low temperature. Maybe that is the sort of thing they now use, and the cost was the reason for preferring a dry bearing?

Leif

zurtfox said:

Chris

Truly? Anyone with a recently purchase Ultravid care to comment? Otto?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back