• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2023 - Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

A not completely dry trip (some very light snow) to the fields around Hochmoor with hopes of Tundra Bean Goose was successful (I found three), with other additions Common Gull (one, exactly where I expected it), Skylark (one), White Stork (two) and Lapwing (three).

I've just noticed that I've recorded 50% of all of my eBird checklists--so not all of my birding but a significant chunk of it--within 2 km of my home and 60% within 5 km. (I don't keep a yard list, by the way.)

I spent a few hours yesterday searching for a very furtive Great Grey Shrike that has been reported from my local patch a couple of times. Despite optimal shrike weather in the afternoon, I failed of course. I did add Meadow Pipit...
Today I twitched six Pink-footed Geese that had been taunting me for over two weeks. On the way back I found Rook, a nice surprise away from the Rhine.

Last edited:
Today I twitched six Pink-footed Geese that had been taunting me for over two weeks
I think we met there today. I was the one on the bike (but I didn’t cycle the whole way from Düsseldorf) who missed them by a couple of minutes. I stayed and cycled around the area searching for them. Finally found them around 4 PM just south of the hide where I had already searched before.

Yesterday at short tour around Düsseldorf got me Rook, Black Woodpecker, Snipe and Linnet for my green list.

I think we met there today. I was the one on the bike (but I didn’t cycle the whole way from Düsseldorf) who missed them by a couple of minutes. I stayed and cycled around the area searching for them. Finally found them around 4 PM just south of the hide where I had already searched before.

Yesterday at short tour around Düsseldorf got me Rook, Black Woodpecker, Snipe and Linnet for my green list.
Yes, we did meet! I actually thought that might be the case when I was cycling back.
Good you found them: I had checked the area south of the hide as well...

I can't add anything to the global list, but I did manage to get my rather uninspiring Swindon green list up to 31, plus the local escaped Black Swan which I can't count. If we were counting subspecies, my White Wagtail was of course yarrellii rather than alba, which I guess might be the first of that subspecies?

Yes, we did meet! I actually thought that might be the case when I was cycling back.
Good you found them: I had checked the area south of the hide as well...
Nice to put a face to the name. I didn‘t realize it until I saw your post, even though in hindsight I could have made the connection by the slight Dutch accent and that you were traveling by bike

17 Jan: a beautiful luminous winter day, even if a bit cold. I wandered in northwards direction to the region of Temse, in search for a Ring-necked Duck that had been present there in Dec 2022, and seen again on 15 Jan 2023 during water bird counts. I did not find it, unfortunately -- the 'best' duck I managed to see was a Tufted Duck x Pochard hybrid. But this bird had stayed out of view for over three weeks before reappearing a mere 2 km away from the original site, and some of the ponds in the area are private -- so IMO it could as well still be around. I did add Siskin along the way. Cycled this day: 105 km.

18-20 Jan: Harelbeke for the first Belgian field record of Moustached Warbled, of which I only managed to get pitifully poor views. (Only in flight. Better than nothing, I guess, but still quite disappointing...) Cycled to Harelbeke on the first morning, spent the afternoon there, continued to the coast for the night. Cycled back to Harelbeke on the second day because I was not too happy with what I'd seen on the previous day, spent the whole day there, then back to the coast (with some snow). Then back again to Harelbeke on the third day, and in the afternoon finally back to Brussels. Also Smew and several Bitterns in Harelbeke. Cycled on 18 Jan: 170 km; on 19 Jan: 130 km; on 20 Jan: 170 km. (It took me a couple of days to recover... ;))

29 Jan: a cloudy, rather dark and cold, but (mostly) dry day. I went NE to the region of Mol, for a Pygmy Cormorant. On a nearby pond, while searching for the cormorant, I also ran incidentally into someone watching a male Scaup (which had been found earlier this day, but I was unaware of it). Late in the afternoon, a colour-ringed Black-bellied Dipper was discovered not far form where the Cormorant spends its nights -- although I was already on my way back, the news prompted an immediate U-turn. (There are only 5 accepted record of this form in Belgium.) Cycled this day: 175 km; this year: 1410 km. 123 bird spp seen.

Last edited:
Pink-footed Goose must be a really good species in your area ?
They are annual in really small numbers, but they are usually not easy to twitch. It's amazing to have six that stay for weeks.
Only my second observation in Germany!

The Rhine attracts huge numbers of geese so we do get interesting stuff regularly. Not that I am good at checking goose flocks myself... I never managed to find a Red-breasted or Pink-footed Goose on my traditional bike trip back home.

Not a lot of birding during the last week but managed to see a wintering Stonechat, Greenfinch, Reed Bunting, Ring-necked Pheasant and had a heard-only Brambling.
Highlight was a Red-breasted Merganser on the Rhine today.

I was in the Netherlands this weekend (by car, so immediately disqualified), but today I cycled my "traditional polder circuit" one-and-a-half times despite the strong wind.
Highlights on the first full round were Smew, Pintail, Bewick's & Whooper Swan (the latter two twitched, but I can't help they were on-route) and an all-time high count of 66 Shoveller on the ice rink of Terheijden (the largest natural ice rink in the Netherlands, which obviously usually is a lake in winter and a field in summer).
Then I had to do most of the hard work against the wind again because others had managed to find back the Lesser-fronted Goose that had been seen on this circuit the day before: when I got there, it even turned out to concern two birds. My slight excuse is that I had missed this bit of road by deviating to search for Rook (I found Goshawk, but the Rooks were somewhere else along the route).

Interesting how uncommon Rook and Common Gull are in western Germany. I can see both of them without going outside on some days, Common Gull being the most common gull and Rook being the second most numerous corvid after Jackdaw.

Interesting how uncommon Rook and Common Gull are in western Germany. I can see both of them without going outside on some days, Common Gull being the most common gull and Rook being the second most numerous corvid after Jackdaw.
Rook is patchy in the Netherlands and Germany because they are linked to (sandy) clay soils along rivers and on loess plateaus.
In those locations, they tend to be common. Being linked to agriculture is not the greatest idea if you are a bird in the Netherlands or western Germany...
Common Gull is very common in the Netherlands, but in Germany you will only find high numbers in the lower Rhineland, Lower Saxony and parts of the east.
If I'd live 25 km to the west I would probably have the same impression as you about these birds!

Achievement unlocked: I may have no chance of seeing anything that isn't already on the list, but on Saturday I finally saw something that wasn't added to the list on 1 January! Red Kite, added to the global list 7 Jan, added to mine 11 Feb. Only my third ever in urban Swindon although they're pretty common in the surrounding countryside.

I had a bad weekend for green credentials thanks to a Buff-bellied Pipit and my mother's 80th birthday (at least we went to a vegan restaurant within walking/cycling distance of my brothers' homes).
I managed a Barn Owl yesterday (they must be widespread here, but I obviously spend too little time around farms in the dark) and the first Song Thrush today.

I had a bad weekend for green credentials thanks to a Buff-bellied Pipit and my mother's 80th birthday (at least we went to a vegan restaurant within walking/cycling distance of my brothers' homes).
I managed a Barn Owl yesterday (they must be widespread here, but I obviously spend too little time around farms in the dark) and the first Song Thrush today.
Coincidence - my first Song Thrush this morning too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back