• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2024 - Joint Thread (3 Viewers)

Looks like there's a difference of 3, one of which is I've accepted the Egyptian Goose as a C while you've got it as an E. If Xenospiza's one was an E, then there's still Laurent's one on 4 Jan which was a C. I may need to change the date but it does count one way or the other. It wouldn't be at all surprising if the other 2 issues are duplicates in my list, as it's much harder to spot duplicates in an alphabetical list than in taxonomic order.

Cool, that's what I made it. However I'm definitely missing one, and could be the 2. I need to learn how to do spreadsheets again! (I did notice you had some of PC's birds down for the 2nd not the 3rd, but that shouldn't affect the totals).

Anyway ... fresh air beckons ... ;-)

Three additions today in a lengthy walk from home this morning:-

72​
Common Buzzard
14-Jan-24​
73​
Pintail
14-Jan-24​
74​
Knot
14-Jan-24​

I have added Pintail & Knot to the UK list and the Combined List stands at 95.

My eBird Checklist here - https://ebird.org/checklist/S158854548 - 53 species is my best walk of the year so far.

Edit - corrected eBird link! Still not sure it works & not sure why it doesn't.

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
Out again today. WeBS count at Stithians Reservoir. It was pretty good weather - a bit cold and overcast with some sun, but it's usually wet and windy so all good. Didn't quite get out as early as I wanted but out the door by 9:30. Just ran along the roads the normal route to Stithians as far easier than going off piste - within the hour I was in the hide with year ticks Feral Pigeon (flock of), Raven and Stonechat already under the belt.

The water levels were pretty high so it was a case more of hearing ducks than seeing them as they fed or cavorted within the flooded willow carr margins - but with time did get to see some Teal and Mallard. The only bird out on the reservoir was a solitary Great Crested Grebe. A good few birds by the feeders including Reed Bunting, but no Marsh Tits unfortunately. Continuing around and flushed a couple of Snipe up from the water's edge, and scanning inland was surprised to see a deer against the skyline - presumably a Roe Deer. Past the dam and near the Watersports Centre and a solitary male Scaup (Greater) with 2 Canada Geese nearby. Not even a single Tufted Duck for the day! The Golden Lion cutoff held more birds as I had my lunch - Wigeon, more Mallard and Teal, Grey Heron and then a pair of smart Pintail. Initially hidden against the undergrowth, they sallied out which was nice.

Moving on, refilled my water bottles, past a field holding 102 grazing Canada Geese and that was mostly it for the bird count. I decided to head further up a nearby wilder hill with gorse and rough grass - a nice herd of Highland Cattle and thence to the rocky tor on the side of the hill. Just sat down when I realised against the skyline was an impressive set of antlers - a stag Red Deer with two hinds! Fumbled for the camera and managed to get some shots. Also spent a while trying to nail a distant egret with cattle, but it was just a Little Egret - I was hoping it was mud covered yellow bill and legs but realise that was probably not going to cut it.

Back down the hill and back to the hides - 3 Little Grebes on show now, and flocks of 80 and 20 Lapwings over (normally they roost at the waters edge, but water levels too high for that). I had gen that a SEO was wintering in the area, and it now being late afternoon I decided to go back around and have a go for it - and as soon as I got in view of the rough grassy fields, there it was! Smart! I watched it with bins for a while, not bothering with the scope even though it was pretty distant, and got some record shots. Short-eared Owl is a good bird for the yearlist locally. Scaup and Pintail another two which were good to get. And then back home ... mostly uneventful apart from briefly getting lost/misplaced (having to go back up a steep hill always annoying!), a flock of 20 Meadow Pipits, plenty of Redwing and Fieldfare about. Oh, and a male Pheasant back near home new for the year.

Aside the deer, only other mammal was Rabbit, 47 bird species for the day, 20.1 miles covered (!) Thought I had my first blister, but it was only a toenail issue (worse or better?!) Still no Linnet, Sparrowhawk or Mistle Thrush (etc etc)

That's over 50 miles on foot (mostly running) this week - not going to be sustainable. I think I'm going to have to get the bike out of the shed, especially if I want to go much further afield. (I bought the bike second hand a year or so back, not ridden it yet. Actually don't think I've ridden a bike for 15+ years ... ;-) )

Last edited:
Brussels birdwatchers here have a tradition of making two "Christmas bird counts", as Americans do, a usage that was 'imported' many decades ago by Pierre Devillers who had been studying in N America. I.e., we count birds within a circle of 16 km (= 10 miles) radius, once on the coast around Damme, once around Brussels. The coastal count usually occurs just before Christmas; the Brussels count in early/mid January -- the same people being often involved in both counts. Thus, yesterday, we were counting birds around Brussels.

The weather was cold and grey -- probably similar to what Xenospiza encountered in Germany, although here we also had a bit a snow in the early afternoon. Most pools were 90-100% frozen in the area I covered, so the numbers of water birds were quite limited. A Common Redpoll and a Hawfinch (not at all common around here) were probably the most memorable sightings for me.

Birds I had not seen this year yet included this quite complying Firecrest :

1705313466642.png

Year list now 110 A + 5 C and 2 E.
Also 4 mammals, as some have started to count them : Grey Seal, Beech Marten, Red Squirrel and European Hare.

Hawfinch is a funny bird: it is a common bird in some areas in the Netherlands, but everywhere where I lived they were absent or rare.
Where I live now they are hard to miss, but in my mind they remain a "rare bird".

I tried and failed to find Greater Scaup (I bet the waterbird counters I met will find them), but did see 19 Smew and even one of the last local Tree Sparrows.
The weather was cold and grey, but at least it stayed dry.
I would have lost that bet: they failed to find the Scaups as well.
I had exaggerated my Smew count by one, but still did better than my colleagues, haha!

Pretty much all my birding is done in our little valley either on foot or using my old e-bike. Not much of a variety of species but don't know if these have been added to the UK list yet.

Mistle thrush Jan 1st
Dipper Jan 1st
Goshawk Jan 2nd
Marsh tit Today

Last edited:
A few bits to add from this week (prior to another 'reasonably big day' today) ...

Popped out to buy some milk from Asda on Monday the 15th. Went via College Reservoir and ended up taking about 2 hours! No exciting woodland or water species to speak of, but did hear a couple of Skylarks flying overhead (was in woodland at the time, hence didn't see them.)
Added Linnet, Gannet and Common Scoter to the garden list, and hence the green list on 16th Jan. Already posted to that thread, but essentially the seabirds were c4 miles away, as viewed from the attic window with the scope balanced on the open velux window. The scoter were definitely a surprise, the Gannet a bit more expected/hoped for.

Out again on a brief errand yesterday, and added a fairly distant fly by Mistle Thrush, white underwings gleaming in the sun. A 7 mile run late afternoon yielded nothing new, but at least was a fair bit more birdy than other runs have been at a similar time - 8 Moorhen around Argal Res and more passerine activity. Didn't take bins or anything.

I also realised I'd omitted Chaffinch, GBBGull and Rook on my list when I came to put my green list on bubo!

Out today on the first trip of the year to the coast proper. Decided to be a bit sensible and walk, rather than run (although admittedly my running pace isn't much different to my walking pace ;-) ). Not sure, but it felt harder work (and you don't get any benefits of time gained on the downhills either). Anyway ...

Out by 9, a little later than intended, didn't go via the reservoir to make sure I had more time elsewhere, but did follow the stream down into Penryn which paid off with first Dipper for the year, seen twice briefly and also heard singing, but I didn't hang around. It 'only' took me an hour and three quarters to reach Pendennis Point (actual moving time minus stops), with a quick scan of Gorrangorras on the Penryn River on the way - 21 Redshank roosting, 6 Oystercatchers, Curlew and Teal, and 8 or 9 Blackcap in town. Unfortunately the sea was pretty much quiet, with 1 Great Northern Diver in the Carrick Roads and a few Razorbill. I did manage to scope a Whimbrel on the rocks (second target species of the day). Had hoped for Purple Sandpiper, but they aren't really regular, and there were a few fishermen on the rocks of the point ...

Around to Castle Beach and 10 roosting Turnstone, 9 Oystercatchers and ... female type Black Redstart also a target species new for the year. Half a dozen Rock Pipits too (and Grey Wagtail and a pair of flycatching Stonechat). Swanpool area held 18 Fulmar on their nesting cliffs already, but nothing new around Swanpool, although it was interesting to see it nearly frozen over and 13 Little Grebe sharing the space with the Herring Gulls and ducks. No rats at the feeding spot! Chiffchaff on the benches by the Hooked Cafe, but no Ringed Plover in their usual spot, and no sign of the Black Guillemot reported off Pennance Point in the week. Off for another quick seawatch from Pennance Point, very quiet (not even any Gannet) only a couple more Razorbill and a single 1stw Med Gull, I then headed along the coast path towards Maenporth and then the Roseland Peninsula. This was pretty much a 6-7 mile bust on slippery mud underfoot (the top layer of mud had thawed but still frozen underneath for a good chunk of the way - a bit of a nightmare in my thus unsuitable trainers). Greenshank at Maenporth, and an imm GNDiver too the highlights. Back to Swanpool where the second half of the day was kind of rescued by a couple of pods of Common Dolphin making their way east across the bay, maybe 30-40 in all and a Sparrowhawk also across the bay before diving into the woods on Pennance, and then finally a Water Rail at Swanpool alongside the stream (both finally, as in final reasonable bird of the day, and on my third time walking that side of the road).

Bit shocked at how many people were out (innumerable walkers, dog walkers, proper runners etc etc). 21 or so miles c60 bird species, 7 new for the year, although I had 10-15 targetted in my head. Don't think I'll be making that same trip in that format in a hurry (felt like hard work), although still some good birds to get along the coast and a reminder that I should get there more often now we have moved away from the coast ...

Last edited:
I was told getting my "good bike" repaired cost an eyewatering sum, and as the local shops are either 99% e-bike or low quality, I had to go to Gelsenkirchen (the poorest town in Germany) for a decent choice. But I found what I was looking for, so this afternoon I headed to the Great Northern Diver I found last year. A Shoveler in the town lake (which is almost completely frozen over) was a surprise.
No snow or ice here at all, unlike not that much further south or west.

I've managed to add three to the Europe and World lists, amazingly only one of them seen through the window, proving that getting some exercise can have many benefits, to health and birding results to name but two :) Alpine Chough over the mountain ridges about 3kms away 10 days ago (another c200 flew by at dawn today perhaps encouraged to go higher by the milder temperatures). Yesterday I finally got to hear a Willow Tit whilst walking our temporary lodger's dogs, but best of all today I had confirmation that I had correctly identified the tracks we found in the snow a week or so ago when I flushed two Hazel Hen from beside the track I was walking, just 500m or so from home!

Last edited:
Hors concours as we say in Dutch, as I had used my car to get there, but my traditional cycling route through the municipality of Drimmelen was quite successful.
My first Grey Partridges in 10 years (I was somewhat surprised to see that waarneming.nl now obscures their location), Smew (these were expected, but you never know!), Goldeneye (amazingly rare: only my fourth ever sighting here), Pintail (also uncommon), Great Black-backed Gull, a nice flock of 30 Tree Sparrows (their old haunts have all been deserted) and what should maybe be the highlight: two squabbling immature White-tailed Eagles (but at their usual distance of 3 km or so; my third observation here ever). These are also obscured on waarneming.nl, probably to protect the nest sites.
Finding 12 Cetti's Warblers but no Willow Tit or Linnet is a sign of the times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back