• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RockOfPigeon

United States
I saw this duck with a large group of mallards and a couple of American Black Ducks. The duck I am having trouble identifying is the black one with the white breast/chest. Is it some sort of hybrid/sub species?

Attachments

• IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1164.JPG
    IMG_1164.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
  • IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
A mallard , but with some domestic duck in its ancestry (Domestic ducks -except domestic muscovy- were bred from mallards , so they are essentially the same species and can freely interbreed with any offspring being fully fertile)

there are some domestic duck breeds which have irregular white patches on breast and neck, for example swedish blue and black swedish

Welcome to the Forum, RockOfPigeon. I think your bird is a female Mallard with domestic Mallard ancestry.

eta: cross-posted with Joern.

And I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

I agree on Mallard with Domestic Duck influence. By the way is there an english word for this reverse hybridisation? In Germany in my area it is fairly common, nearly every pond has one or two ducks like this among the Mallards.

I agree on Mallard with Domestic Duck influence. By the way is there an english word for this reverse hybridisation? In Germany in my area it is fairly common, nearly every pond has one or two ducks like this among the Mallards.
Some of the weirdest looking ducks that have Mallard and Muscovy genes have been called "yuck ducks".

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back