• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2023 - Joint Thread (2 Viewers)

Why don't they lump them like Dark-eyed Juncos?

EDIT: A significant part was edited out.

EDIT 2: The question comes partly from frustration, but I'm also genuinely interested why. I guess this is a situation similar to the Bean Goose complex, but perhaps progressing faster (the paper outlined noticeable changes between the late 1960s and the late 1990s in Western Siberia, for example)? Or is it because people are used to viewing them as different species, much like the Redpoll complex?

I also wonder whether that the bar for ticking a Yellowhammer in Western Europe is very low (certain introgression of Pine Bunting genes is admissible--as with the presence of a chestnut moustache--which would all perhaps make sense given that there reportedly is evidence of ancient hybridisation between these two species*) compared to the bar for ticking a Pine Bunting (only phenotypically pure individuals make the cut) stems from some proven assymetry in gene flow between the two species, or is it just a quirk of European listing, and a phenotypically slightly impure** Pine Bunting would be readily ticked as such in Northeastern Asia the way a phenotypically slightly impure** Yellowhammer is embraced as such here?

* I recall reading about gene flow between Gadwalls and Falcated Ducks which happened at some point in the distant past, and Gadwalls showing certain limited traits of Falcated Ducks aren't treated as hybrids, I think.
** I tentatively refer to phenotypes No. 1 ('citrinella') and 4 ('leucocephalos') from the said paper: https://www.researchgate.net/public...bunting_in_Russia_Dutch_Birding_2003_25_17-31.

Last edited:
After some remarkably bad weather yesterday, I hoped for some nice migration, but unlike in the Netherlands it wasn't to be.
Still I added Chiffchaff and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker to the yearlist (heard-only to make it extra painful).
In the afternoon I twitched some Red-crested Pochards, but had I known a Dark-bellied Brent along the Rhine was still there, I would have gone for that (it's the commonest species in Germany I have not seen yet, although it's a very rare bird in Northrhine-Westphalia of course. The good news is that I would likely have dipped!)

Last edited:
Not only the 35th species for my personal green list (and the 57th for the UK list excluding cat E), but a garden tick as well. Chiffchaff that came in with a very hyperactive flock of long-tailed tits. Very happy with that, not least because it was kind enough to give me a good enough view to be sure it wasn't my garden's second-ever willow warbler.

Still no spring migrants here yet, though they my birding friends slightly further south have had some so I'm getting hopeful.
Very nice encounter with a male pileated this morning though. Always a joy. I still remember seeing my first when we moved here in 2009 - quite a shock after UK woodpeckers.

Attachments

• hey handsome.jpg
    hey handsome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
You beat me by one day Amy, I had one migrating past here the very next day!
It was a new one for Europe at least :cool: ... I can however add two for the world this month though, Ring Ousel and Black Kite.
I must admit that I was surprised it hadn't already been spotted, checked and double checked the list.
I've only seen Ring Ousel once, a very nice memory. Lovely bird.

A strong southwesterly wind and frequent showers made a less than perfect day to be outside, but I did add Swallow and House Martin (at the location where I tend to see them first; the House Martin was eight days earlier than my previous record anywhere).

Last edited:
11 Mar: I tried the Ring-necked Duck NW of Brussels again. I was (very) lucky this time, as the bird swam across an area of open water in the marsh in front of me a mere 10 minutes after I had reached the site -- but it then disappeared again in the vegetation. Very good view, but short... (20-30 seconds. And, unfortunately, my camera was still in the paniers of my bike.) I stayed in the area until early evening, but no more joy. An Avocet and a fly-by Marsh Harrier in the same marsh were new as well. (Cycled this day: 110 km.)

15-17 Mar: On 15 March, I twitched a Red-throated Pipit that had been present in West Flanders for some time. As I had done 70% of the way anyway, I continued to the coast, birded a couple of sites there on the next day, and came back to Brussels on 17 March. In addition to the Red-throated Pipit, Black-tailed Godwit, Little Ringed Plover, Common Scoter, Short-eared Owl and Knot were new. Also, not a full species but always nice to see, a male Pied Wagtail (yarrellii). (Cycled on 15 Mar: 165 km; on 16 Mar: 110 km; on 17 Mar: 170 km.)

23-26 Mar: Did a trip to the High Fenns in E Belgium, being joined in this area by my wife. This is the only place left with Black Grouse in Belgium. The weather forecast was quite grim, but accommodation (3 nights in a hotel close to the best spot for the Grouse) was booked, so we went nevertheless. I cycled up there on 23 Mar (with my first Black Redstart and a circling Goshawk along the way). On 24 March, we mainly lingered around the Black Grouse spot -- my wife briefly saw one flying by, but I did not. Woodcock was new for me. On 25 March, I then woke up at 6, quickly cycled to the Black Grouse spot, and this time I was more lucky. We walked around the area for the rest of the day, in a fairly strong wind and with some showers. On 26 Mar, I cycled back to Brussels, with a quite long detour to the NE corner of Limburg to grab an Eagle Owl -- in what I can only call a horrible weather. (The owl breeds within the town of Maaseik, which does not go without some cohabitation problems; it makes the news from time to time, so I guess I don't need to treat this as a secret.) Also singing Wood Lark along the way to the Eagle Owl site. (And a Beech Marten that crossed a street right in front of my bicycle after sunset was nice, too.) I was home a bit after midnight. (Cycled on 23 Mar: 145 km; on 24 Mar: 0 km; on 25 Mar: 5 km; on 26 Mar: 230 km.)

(Cycled this year: 3260 km. Bird species (cat A): 163.)

Attachments

• Botrange (Black Grouse site).jpg
    Botrange (Black Grouse site).jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Haven’t managed to add any new birds to my green list for a couple of weeks now. Saw a couple of good birds here in Düsseldorf (Ruff, Spotted Redshank, LEO) but can’t count them as I had to rely on public transportation.
Covid hit me pretty hard for a couple of days late February than once I was healthy I had to realize that I won‘t be able to fix my bike on my own and brought it to the bike shop. Finally got it back on Saturday. So hopefully I will manage start adding new species to my list during the next weeks

Edit: but I managed to upgrade my tawny owl from heard only to seen. Last week there was one singing from an antenna just across the street. Had good views from my living room window on the fourth floor. A bit surprising so close to the city center and the two parks nearby are very small

Last edited:
Arrival of the blackbirds today - Common Grackle and Red-winged Blackbird both here and making sure everyone knows it. Also a couple of American Robins in the mix.

Also added some other over-winterers that I haven't caught up with yet, each comes with a query for the group list:
Wild Turkey - not sure what the 'categories' are in Canadian birds, these were introduced many years back, but sustained and breeding. I've added it to the world list, but feel free to switch it red if that's where it should be.
European Starling - definitely an introduced again here - but also doesn't seem to be on the group list anywhere yet, so I'm either missing it, or you all deny it's existence somehow?!

Oh, and Canada Geese have also arrived, which I've added in black. I left the red one on there, didn't want to mess with anyone else's observations.

ETA: This afternoon added Coopers Hawk on their nesting ground, and a Dark-eyed Junco exploring puddles.

Last edited:
I've done some catching-up today, observing a total of 52 species, including six ducks, four finches, both treecreepers, Long-tailed Tit, Reed Bunting and a singing Chiffchaff. 16 of those were new to my green list. I also saw lots of nice bright blue flowers in an abandoned garden next to a ruined house. Distance cycled and walked was somewhat north of 60 km.

Attachments

• roadkill 2cy spring Robin.jpg
    roadkill 2cy spring Robin.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • pair of Common Cranes.JPG
    pair of Common Cranes.JPG
    616.1 KB · Views: 4
  • the flowers.JPG
    the flowers.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • closeup.JPG
    closeup.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
A few more for me, just one that was new for Europe (and the World), a Citril Finch in front of our house on 27 March.
Black Grouse has been duplicated, I saw one on 17 Feb and entered it on the spreadsheet but I see Laurent has added it as well more recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back