• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2024 - Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Spring has sprung for me on my usual walk:-

79 - Sand Martin - 21st March

This appears to be 108 for the United Kingdom & the first addition since 28th January?

All the best

Paul
Staying on the Martin theme, I can add Crag Martin along with three others for Europe and the World in the past week:
Black Kite
Crag Martin
Ring Ousel
Short-toed Snake Eagle
My wife and I have tried twice for Pygmy Owl in the forest up behind our place this month, but not a squeak ! We even took our supper up there with us on the second occasion but Sushi doesn't attract them it seems ;)

I think I must have rather overdone it at the beginning of the year with my long walks and runs and struggled to even get out the last couple of months. But I did manage to get down to the reservoirs yesterday and then on to asda for some groceries. Was hoping for Sand Martins as first migrants of the year, but alas, no sign (College Res is a good site for them on migration). Did however have something more surprising - a couple of singing Willow Warblers briefly! Plenty of Chiffchaff song too, but these will have certainly been my earliest Willow Warblers (I seem to recall 28th March as earliest before).

An also rather unsurprising but nonetheless welcome Blackcap on my way to work.
The corner where I tend to see the first one in town is currently "off-route" because of road works, which may have prevented an earlier date.

Didn't manage to get down to the reservoirs for a few days as managed to injure my knee doing a jigsaw puzzle. Fortunately it got better (something clicked and within 12 hours it seemed good, rather weird) and went down for another try yesterday late afternoon to College Reservoir - c120 Sand Martin the rewards. First Bluebells out too.

Didn't manage to get down to the reservoirs for a few days as managed to injure my knee doing a jigsaw puzzle. Fortunately it got better (something clicked and within 12 hours it seemed good, rather weird) and went down for another try yesterday late afternoon to College Reservoir - c120 Sand Martin the rewards. First Bluebells out too.
Glad to hear the knee’s better Dan, but it serves you right for practising such extreme sports;) Reminds me of the English Test cricketer who was flown home from a tour of India after injuring his back writing a letter!

A (heard-only) Yellow Wagtail today (which will go into my list as Blue-headed as its the most likely option by far).
I then went to the closest population of Black-tailed Godwits and saw four, which is a good score. A few Curlews as well, but no surprises at all. It was windier than expected which was most unwelcome when I cycled back!

Two additions for me on my morning walk - 51 species in total on my walk:-

84 - Willow Warbler
85 - Reed Bunting

The first appears to be 111 for the UK list.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Goldcrest 01.jpg
    Goldcrest 01.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • Reed Bunting 02.jpg
    Reed Bunting 02.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 0
  • Reed Bunting 03.jpg
    Reed Bunting 03.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Wheatear 001.jpg
    Wheatear 001.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Willow Warbler 01.jpg
    Willow Warbler 01.jpg
    895.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
An addition for me today with 2 Black-tailed Godwit (presumably a pair of islandica). That is 86 for me 'on foot' from home for the year.

42 species on the walk & a total soaking - https://ebird.org/checklist/S166796683

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Black-tailed Godwit 07.jpg
    Black-tailed Godwit 07.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Gadwall 02.jpg
    Gadwall 02.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Raven 004.jpg
    Raven 004.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Meadow Pipit 02.jpg
    Meadow Pipit 02.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Mallard 002.jpg
    Mallard 002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Peregrine 01.jpg
    Peregrine 01.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 0
Witnessing vis-mig in our cul de sac of a valley is quite a rare event so 8 White Wagtails heading for the higher slopes was notable today, especially considering the wintry conditions and cloud low down. The latter prevented me from actually seeing my latest addition, a Red-billed Chough heard passing somewhere quite close…..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back