- A long, decurved bill surmounted by a casque (very large in some species)
- Males are bigger than females
- Black, white and grey as predominant plumage colours
- Colorfoul bare parts (bill, bare skin around eye and throat)
- Females of most species seal themself into her nest-cavity, leaving only a narrow slit open. The male passes the food through that slit.
- Most species inhabit forests, some more open woodland savanna
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliot, and J Sargatal, eds. 2001. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 6: Mousebirds to Hornbills. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8487334306
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Bucerotidae. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 16 May 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Bucerotidae